Drupal is an open source and free web development platform that allows you to easily organize, manage and publish your content, with an endless variety of customisation. Dries Buytaert began the Drupal software as a message board in 1999, and in 2001 drupal.org was created. People from various countries started to contribute to Drupal and make it better. After so many years, Drupal powers millions of websites and has 1,050,000+ users and developers today.
Drupal's core is written in PHP. Drupal project follows principles such as code standards, modularity, extensiblity, low resource demands, ease of use and some more. These principles ensures that beginners can get started quickly with development and usage. Many of the world's biggest websites such as that of White House, The Economist, Harvard University, Sony Music trust Drupal for their web platforms.
Why use Drupal?
There are a lot of advantages of using Drupal. Here are some of them:
- the oldest and most reliable CMS
- a built-in taxonomy system
- the most powerful and most advanced CMS on Earth
- superior search engine optimization
- its utterly secure
- a large number of modules and themes
- excellent documentation
- Best part - Its free and open source and always will be :)
Resources to learn Drupal 8
Drupal 8 is new and people are still developing content for it. But here is some nice free content available right now to learn Drupal 8:
- Drupal 8 Beginner Playlist - The Drupal 8 Beginner Tutorial Class on YouTube is an excellent resource to get started.
- OSTraining's Channel on YouTube - OSTraining has a lot of nice playlists for Drupal 8